Moodle quick guide for students
5. Enrolling into a Moodle course
Note! Enrolling into Moodle courses during the from Oodi to Peppi system change
During the transfer from Oodi to Peppi students enroll into Moodle
courses by using an enrolment key. Students enroll to Moodle courses by
using an enrollment key until the Peppi-Moodle connection is announced
to be in operation. Teachers are informed to provide students with
enrollment keys for Moodle courses.
More information: Peppi opens Nov 22 – What will change? | University of Oulu
Enrolling into a Moodle course
Moodle has two main ways for students to log in to Moodle courses:
- Automatic registration in the Moodle course based on WebOodi enrollment
- Self-registration (with or without an enrollment key) to a Moodle course
1. Automatic registration in the Moodle course based on WebOodi enrollment
If you have
enrolled for a course in WebOodi, you will most often be registered directly in
the Moodle course. The Moodle course will then appear on your Dashboard when
the course is visible to students and you are logged in to Moodle.
2. Self-registration (with or without an enrollment key) to a Moodle course
For some Moodle courses, you can enroll yourself by using self-enrollment.
self-enroll on Moodle courses followingly:
- Log in to Moodle and search the right Moodle course
- If you have received the web-address for the Moodle course, click on it first and then log in to Moodle.
- If you have received a Moodle course name or short name, first log in to Moodle (moodle.oulu.fi) and search for the Moodle course with its name or short name using the Search function (Magnifying glass image at the top right).
When you find the right course, click on its name.
- Enter the enrolment key in the "Enrolment key" box.
Enrolment key = course registration password, which is asked only once when enrolling a Moodle course for the first time. If needed, please ask the course teacher for the enrolment key.
- Click the button "Enrol me". After that, you should be directly in the Moodle course.
When you have enrolled to a Moodle course, next time when you log in to Moodle, this course
will appear in Your Courses on the Moodle Dashboard.
- If a Moodle course is not found, registration for the course may not be open yet. Please check with your teacher / course supervisor to open the self-registration and start the course if needed.
- If Moodle asks for the key for self-registration, you will not be able to join the course without it. If you do not know the course key, ask your teacher / course coordinator.